Monday, May 18, 2015

No Rest for the Wicked...

At the beginning of May I started work again.  My first paid employment in the USA!  I'm working part-time, a few days a week, doing web-based research.  Although it's only been a couple of weeks so far, it seems to be going well.  Each research subject is different, which keeps it interesting, and I'm enjoying the fact-finding and "digging" side of things, which seems to appeal to my natural nosiness and annoying need to find out everything possible about a subject.


The tax situation for my pay took a little figuring out - it's a good job that hubby is an accountant and has access to overseas tax advisors because it sounds really complicated.  But I'm still earning a bit of pocket money, doing something useful, and experiencing the workplace in a different culture. 

So far, so good - very relaxed and friendly, "summer casual" dress-code (although I still can't bring myself to wear shorts and flip-flops to the office yet, which is de rigeur for almost everyone else), earphones for music, and being able to go home at the end of the day with no stresses.

The only downside is being 100% deskbound, and I can already feel the tell-tale aches in my shoulders and neck, and tired eyes from the constant air-conditioning and screen-work.  Just need to take more care to take regular stretch breaks and keep up the yoga practise!

But all-in-all, I think I've found a nice gentle introduction to working life in the USA :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment